Monday, December 8, 2014

Fantasy vs. Reality

Losing in the playoffs of my fantasy football league was the best thing to happen to me this season.


Fantasy football ruins football. There, I said it. And no, that is not an angry fantasy football player who continually finishes in third place each year. This is a football fan, an NFL fan, who loses out on the beauty and sanctity of the Sunday afternoon because of the constant fear that DeMarco Murray will run for four touchdowns on you.

I am a diehard Giants fan, I will be till the day I die. The Giants blew the Tennessee Titans out yesterday (thankfully). Yet, I rooted for Titans Tight End Delanie Walker the entire game. If he had 10 receptions for 120 yards and 3 touchdowns in a win, I'd be the happiest guy alive. I wouldn't care that the G-men lost, I'd be pumped that he had 40 PPR fantasy points. 

And then I have to worry about the twelve other 1PM games going on because I'm playing against Arian Foster and we all know that the Jaguars have forgotten how to tackle. 

SB Nation animated GIF


Or that the Cardinals like crowding the box and decided that they would just trip over each other instead of tackling Jamaal Charles...





Fantasy football makes millions of dollars and provides thousands of jobs across the country, but it ruins the thing it's representing. It instead represents the selfishness in sports and our obsession with gambling. The idea that I'd rather root for a player then root for my hometown team. And that my $50 pool is worth more to me than a playoff run. 

Close the app. Spend the money on wings instead. Grab the remote, and don't move for well over 8 hours. The way Sunday was meant to be.

I will leave you with Joseph Fauria's phenomenal Touchdown celebration,



Follow me on Twitter @BSzabo24 and check this blog regularly for more of me and @Coochigross

No comments:

Post a Comment